Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why Ironman?

Some people think I am crazy because of the things I want to do in my life. A lot of people's life revolve around their work, I am not one those people. I make sure that I live my life to the fullest because you never know when your life is going to end. For starters I want to dive the Great Barrier Reef, climb El Capitan, Sky Dive, snowboard in the Swiss Alps, and complete an Ironman. You know the feeling when you are about to start a new adventure and your heart rate jumps through the roof because you are so nervous/excited? I LOVE that feeling. How often I get that feeling is my way of measuring if I am living life or if I am just casually strolling through life waiting to die.

Ever since I did my first triathlon my Junior year in high school, I have dreamed of doing an Ironman but the only problem is triathlon is not my life, it is a hobby. My life revolves around my wife and soccer so I have never really taken triathlons seriously. The only reason I got into the sport was because I was bored with running cross country and I wanted a different way to stay in shape for soccer. I have not participated in a triathlon in about 4 years but that is not going to stop me from not only completing Ironman Florida, but racing it with a time goal of 11 hrs. I have read that you are not supposed to race your first Ironman but rather just finish it. For some people that might be the case but for me I might not ever do another Ironman so I want to make this one count. It is either 11hrs or DNF and DNF is never an option.

After I officially got into the race I started reading race reports for Ironman Florida. As I read those reports I would get really excited. When they were describing the finish for the race, I wanted to be there. When I would read the words "John Smith, You are an IRONMAN" my body would tingle and my heart rate would sky rocket. I want to hear those words. I have dreams about hearing those words. I will hear those words. When I am struggling during a long run I think about crossing the finish line and hearing those words. Ironman gives me the feeling that I am living my life. That feeling is the reason why I want to do an Ironman.

1 comment:

  1. I feel exactly the same way. I am also training for my first IM this year. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter